Sunday, October 21, 2012

Empire State 1/2 marathon

What a great fall day for a race. Being that it was 44 at the start and not raining I was super excited to have a great performance. Mostly because all of my long runs for the last 3 weeks have been in the pouring rain. I knew there would be a great field and Kristen and I decided on an agressive pacing plan. I wanted to test my legs and see how hard I could push since all of my long runs have been at tempo so I went out hard for the 1st 5k to see how my time has improved over the season and after hitting mile 3 in 18:30 I backed off the pace and settled in to my pace for the remainder (6:40). I finished with a 6:44 pace, 1:29:37 for 13.3 miles, and took 3rd in my age group. I was very pleased as there was some of the best local racers I know in the field and also in my age group.

Next up for me is Philly which will be the end of my season and after today I am really looking forward to getting in under 3:11. Kristen and I have set a goal of 3:10 but I am pushing for 3:05. It is flat and fast, same as today but the hard part for me is the mental breaks and turning off my brain. This is something to work on in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment